Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Week In Reviews

- I started early on Sunday morning with a review of Set Sail The Prairie by Kaddisfly. This was a hard one to write considering my conflicting feelings as a reviewer and as a devoted fan. The final product was a bit long, but I think it read rather well. I'll surely be listening to this album all year.

- A review of Lovedrug's new album, Everything Starts Where It Ends, was posted the following day. I had expected to really enjoy the disc but found out it wasn't all that good. Other reviews of the record back-up my opinion. I doubt I'll be listening to this very much.

- Big Business' Here Come The Water Works is fantastic. While I'm not the best at writing about the type of music they play, I think I did the disc justice in the review. Eventually the band will be a part of a future "Band Profile" feature.

- I noted in my review of The Higher's On Fire that the record was incredibly cheesy, and I stand by that fact. The allure of their songs has already washed over me.

- The split album from Championship and Her Breath On Glass isn't a bad disc, but it certainly isn't great. I said in the review that both bands were heading in a quality direction but are very much still in their developing stages. Also of note, the guy who plays drums for both bands and runs the label that released it (Reap What You Sew) is a very cool dude.

- Finally, a review of the new Daphne Loves Derby disc, Good Night, Witness Light was incredibly easy to type up. That band writes some catchy tunes in the vein of MAE and COPELAND, but I don't see them reaching the level of those bands anytime soon. However, I may pull out a song or two from them in the future.

- Also of note, I did a mini-reviews feature this week. These are usually dedicated to albums that are slightly out of the website's (or my personal) taste or don't require/deserve loads of text to get the basic point across. Moreover, there was a brief posting about Signal To Noise's upcoming release, Kodiak. It's a pretty cool album, and the band will be alongside Big Business in the abovementioned profiles.

No comments: